Friday, March 9

Getting Screwed

It’s taking me some time to write this (and its 2:05 in the morning) but I was informed Wednesday that after more then thirty years my services were no longer required at Black Photo Corp, Years of dedicated and apparently appreciated service have come down to a curt letter requesting that I return all company property on the final day of my employment.
The meeting with the regional manager surrounding this occurrence was short and matter of fact.
To be honest I can not believe this is happening. I never in my wildest dreams thought that my “career” with the company would end in this manner. I thought that maybe at age sixty or sixty-five, there would be a small group of co worker and friends toasting my departure.
Instead (for now) all I have is this bitter feeling of abandonment.
Now I also must tell you that they gave me a “package” which includes money and job counseling. But that seems so sterile and cold and not at all like the family were we preached to be.
My manager and co workers have been most supportive and even Francois who had to give me the news on the surface seems upset.
At times I am sad and depressed and then the emotions switch to anger. That being the case I suppose I must be careful not to wear my heart on my sleeve. Maybe after the dust and tears have settled I will be able to write a blog entry praising the merits of change
I would at this juncture in time wish to thank family & friends who have rallied around me at this time loaning me their ear to listen and their shoulder to lean on.
Yes after April 27 I will be off to enjoy the company and hospitality of Dave & Kathy in Edmonton.
Oh…….and btw I will still be a member of Blacks ¼ club entitling me to a 50% discount on all store purchases under 100$

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home