Monday, December 12

Throwing the Switch

As I write this blog entry (December 12, 2005) at 8:36 PM a man Tookie Williams awaits execution, by lethal ejection in a Californian prison. He was found guilty of the killing of four people and judged by a “jury of his peers” as guilty. Soon he will be strapped into a gurney where a series of tubes will be introduced to his body. The first will put him to sleep (and will have a back up) the second will stop his breathing and a third will stop his heart and not much later he will be declared dead.

I guess the fair question here is..... what if one of the victims was a loved one of mine
My answer is what if that person who killed my loved one was a loved one of yours?, can you throw the switch or is revenge your goal

I guess his victims didn’t have the same opportunity not to suffer, but I am still at odds as to whether or not I could throw the switch to put a man to death & to close his eyes & heart for eternity.
I am not opposed to life terms (if they are indeed life terms) but to end a life ??? is that really my call. The Bible seems to have answers to this but I guess I am too simple to translate.

To the victims of Toogies killings, I am sorry, to Toogie, RIP

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home