Tuesday, September 5

My Friend .... Wayne


Today is a very reflective day for me.
Today (well tomorrow) marks the forth anniversary of the death of my very best friend Wayne. I knew Wayne for at least forty years. I was Wayne’s day camp counselor for crying out loud. We laughed together, wept together, and he was the best friend a guy could ask for. I was an usher at his wedding to Jocelyn and remember fondly buying a few stuffed toys for his first born Terry. His daughter Wendy Elizabeth is possibly the sweetest girl a dad could ask for. Oh there were times I am sure Wendy could have crowned her pop but at the end of the day she was daddy’s little girl.
I also remember the ice storm of ’98, while everyone else was moaning and bitching Wayne and family threw a party, food on the barby and a huge fire in the fireplace and everyone signing and laughing
A party at Wayne’s was never a small affair, usually a mere twenty or thirty people were there. Everyone was feed and watered and Wayne always had time for everyone. Little kids were attracted to Wayne’s lap like metal to a magnet. He could cook like a madman. He had a laugh that could make you laugh and a smile that was contagious. Many times he was my rock and crying shoulder, and practiced the “you have two ears and one mouth use them it that proportion” syndrome. Wayne door was always open and the tea like magic tea was only moments away. He treated friends like family and family like gold. One would be hard pressed to find a person who had a bad thing to say about Wayne.
One of my fondest memories was being at The Brookes for Christmas Eve when it was my pleasure to read from the Bible the Christmas story and Wayne read the Twas the Night before Christmas. After Wayne’s death it became my honor to read the very same. At the dinner table as it should be Wayne sat at the head of the table. That place is now reserved for me. Years have gone by but Jocelyn, Terry and Wendy keep all of these fine traditions, thank you
I wrote a few words to speak at Wayne’s funeral but a huge lump in my throat and tears in my eyes prevented me from speaking. The turn out was huge, lots and lots of family but amazingly an unbelievable turn out of Terry and Wendy’s friends, probably the first funeral service for many for you see Wayne was like a dad. It was rare that you went to the Brookes household and one of the friends weren’t there.
I am sad that he is gone and miss him greatly but feel rich for having him as a friend……….. my best friend.
Rest well Wayne

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for your kind thoughts of my uncle Wayne. Although for most of my life I was separated by miles from Wayne, he always had a big spot in my heart. I know he is in Heaven and as soon as I get there, right after meeting Jesus, I want to see Wayne.

Keep smiling down on us, Wayne.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006 10:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While I can certainly appreciate your feelings of missing your great friend, I can also attest to the fact that anyone who has your friendship is equally fortunate. I am sure Wayne's time on Earth was better enjoyed for having known you, Keith!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 5:01:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

prHi Keith,
I'm sure you miss Wayne, but you are a rich man, because you have the trasure of his friendship in your hart!

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:12:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keith,
This is all so very nice and brought tears to my eyes and fond memories of good happy days gone by, certainly the house is no longer the same without Wayne and I do miss him terribly.
Thank you for this.
I will also share it with my family.
Jo

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:15:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very nice and emotional entry you have wrote for Wayne.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006 6:41:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for your beautiful words once again Uncle Keith! Made me laugh and cry at the same time. My dad was amazing and I miss him everyday. I hope I'll get to see him again one day. Im so glad we have you in our lives, you mean the world to me and its true, my dad was lucky to have a friend like you, anyone would be!
Looking forward to see you sunday! Love you xoxo

WENDY

Thursday, September 07, 2006 6:43:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW, this is sooooo good to read, for a couple of minutes there, Wayne was with us. Just when you think you are through crying over a person you miss so much it is always nice to know you never will be, because this person has touched so many lives, so deeply!!and is still very much alive in our hearts!! and you know what? we don't want to stop crying over them, it is hurting, but also soothing!!
Thanks for those beautiful thoughts, Keith!

Saturday, October 14, 2006 4:10:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

keith..
A single Blog about Wayne..doesn't do enough. He was a man who touched the lives of many.

He lives on in the memories of all of us.

Ro
(the smallest person that Wayne threw in a snow bank head first)

Thursday, November 30, 2006 8:53:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home